Friday, September 10, 2010

Chapter 105

“Just what I said. That was fun.”

Jon rolled up on an elbow to stare at her in disbelief. “Was that some fucking booty call?”

“That was my reward for four months of hard work.” She sighed and pulled up the blankets. “Why are you getting so upset?”

“You just turned hours of unbelievable lovemaking into something....trivial...casual.”

Veronica shook her head. “That wasn’t lovemaking Jon. That was sex. Incredible, intense, hotter than hell, complete with the most mind blowing orgasm I’ve ever experienced....sex.” She paused. “Don’t like it when it comes back at you, do you?”

“What are you talking about? I’ve never done that to you!” He couldn’t say he’d never done it to anyone...he had to admit that would be a lie.

She snorted. “Isn’t that your MO Jon? Tell them what they want to hear to get them to do what you want, then forget what you promised.” Sighing again she rolled onto her side facing away from him. “I really don’t want to get into this tonight, so please, either lie down or leave. I need to get some sleep.”

Jon stared at her for another moment, then threw back the blankets and stomped to the bathroom where he slammed the door. Fuck! He knew she said she hadn’t forgiven him, but fuck! Was he just supposed to roll over and accept being treated like some....sex toy? Take his punishment like a good boy? Fuck that! He should just get dressed and go back to his room. It would serve her right, he should just.....he yanked the door open and stalked back to the bed. “No dammit! I won’t let you brush me off that easily! I’ve already admitted I fucked up and apologized, what else do you want from me?”

“Nothing Jon. Go to sleep.” She knew there was no point in trying to explain. He just didn’t get it. He thought apologizing made it all go away.

“I’m not the only one who’s broken promises in this relationship you know!”

That had her rolling over to look at him. “What promise have I broken?”

“You promised to try to get to know my kids, but I had to badger you for months to get you spend any time with them.”

“There’s a difference between delaying fulfilment of a promise due to time constraints and the potential for deep pain, and flat out breaking a promise because something else was more important!”

He raked a frustrated hand through his hair. “It still doesn’t make it right!”

“Maybe not, but do you really want to compare behaviour?”

“No, but apparently you do! Arrg! Why do women always want to keep fucking score?”

“I wasn’t. You’re the one who brought it up. I was just pointing out that you might not want to go there. You may not come out the winner.”

“No shit! Is there any way I can win with you?”

Violet eyes narrowed and she sat up, tucking the blanket around her breasts. She really didn’t want to spoil her night with hashing this out now, but he obviously wasn’t going to let it wait. So be it. “Yes! When you make me a promise....KEEP IT! Be someone I can depend on, rely on. If you say you’re going to be somewhere, be there!”

Jon raked a hand through his hair. She was right and he knew it. The chilly air-conditioned room reminded him that he was standing there naked. He shivered.

Veronica sighed and held up the covers. When he’d climbed in and sat beside her, she continued. “Your career may be bigger than mine, but it’s also more flexible. And mine is just as important to me as yours is to you...and it deserves equal consideration.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to belittle yours or make it look like I didn’t think it was important. I’ll work on that....and on being more dependable.”

“Thank you.”

“And will you work on spending time with my kids....and stop putting a wall up between us?”

“I don’t put up a wall between us.” Veronica frowned.

“Yes you do. You may not think it’s noticeable, or maybe you’re not even aware that you’re doing it, but you are. Sometimes I think we’re really coming together, then it’s like we’re just acquaintances sharing a bed and sex. That’s not what I want. We both deserve better than that.”

Veronica looked down at her hands picking imaginary lint from the blanket. “It’s not that easy for me Jon. You hurt me once before...very badly – and no I’m not trying to bring up the past – I’m just trying to explain that it’s made me very cautious of putting my heart at risk again, particularly with you. I need to be sure, in my heart and in my head that it’s not going to happen again, that your feelings are real.” When he would have spoken she held up a hand. “Words won’t cut it Jon. You make your living with words. It’s too easy for you.” She paused. “As for the kids...I’ll keep trying – if Stephanie will even talk to me”

“She’ll come around, you’ll see.” How the hell was he supposed to prove to her he loved her if she couldn’t believe his words? He should have known she’d make it difficult for him.

“I hope you’re right.” She yawned.

“Come on sugar, let’s get some sleep.” Jon reached out to turn off the light.

Veronica slid down, burrowed under the blankets and turned onto her side facing away from him. Jon curled around her, his arm over her waist holding her close.

“So...are we okay?”

“Mmmm....although I’d have preferred you hadn’t ended my night with an argument.” She grumbled.

Knowing she couldn’t see, he grinned. “But don’t you feel better now that the air’s cleared?”

“I guess.”

They were silent for a minute. “Did I tell you what a great job you did? Abdul, Sayed and some others were singing your praises. Thank you. I’ll make sure Vince knows.”

“Thank you.”

He kissed her neck. “Night honey.”

“Night.”





Late the next morning, they were getting dressed – Jon in the same clothes he’d worn the night before until he could get to his room and change.

He glanced around. “Nice room.”

“Uh huh.” Her smile was more than a little smug.

He noticed. “Bitch.” But there was no heat in his voice.

Veronica chuckled.

Jon sighed, his lips twisting wryly. “Message received.” He’d have to pay attention, because it appeared she wasn’t going to let him get away with playing the Rockstar or disrespecting her.

No comments:

Post a Comment