Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chapter 102

Athe end of sound check, Jon stepped down from the stage and approached Veronica and the group she was talking to. At the touch of his hand on her back, she glanced at him, then introduced him to the reporters and DJs that she had been talking to. She stood back and watched him turn on the charm and work the group. As pissed as she was at him, she couldn’t deny that he was very good at this – when he chose to put in the effort.
After about half an hour the group broke up for prayers and dinner, making arrangements to meet up with Veronica again to watch the show. When she tried to walk away, Jon grabbed her arm.

“We need to talk.”

“Nothing to talk about Jon.” She tugged her arm. “I’ve got things to do.”

Jon just shifted his grip to her wrist. “After.”

“Jon...”

“Let me put it this way. I’m not setting foot on that stage until we sort this out.” He headed towards the backstage area and the dressing rooms.

Since she wanted to go that way anyway, she didn’t fight him. Seeing Richie in the hallway she called out to him. “Jughead! T-shirts tonight please, no button downs.” He waved in acknowledgement.

Jon opened his dressing room door and pulled her inside. When he released her to turn and close the door, she moved to his wardrobe and started flipping through his shirts. He frowned at the ones she set out for him to wear. “I want to wear the black vest tonight.”

Veronica shook her head. “No. Only T-shirts tonight.”

He recalled her similar words to Richie. “Why?”

“Muslims frown on anyone – male or female – showing too much skin.”

That explained her long skirt and short sleeved top even in this crazy heat. “You’ve really done your homework.”

Anger stiffened her body and flared in violet eyes. “Of course! What the fuck do you think I’ve been doing for the last four months?”

“That’s not...Jesus Ronnie, calm down. That’s not what I meant! I just meant that you’ve done a great job.” He raked a hand through his hair. This wasn’t going to be easy, she was really prickly. He bent down to the cooler under the table. “Shit. Where’s my wine?”

“No wine.” At his look she explained. “Muslim country, no alcohol.”

Jon sighed. Just fucking lovely. Not only do I have to bare my soul, but I have to do it stone cold sober! He gestured to a chair. “Will you sit down please?”

Knowing she wasn’t going to get out of the room until he’d said whatever he’d dragged her in there to say, she complied.

Jon paced a bit then sat in the other chair. He hated these types of conversations, in fact he avoided them as much as was humanly possible, but he knew it was the only way to reach her. “Honey, I’m sorry I didn’t come with you. I promised you I’d do whatever you needed me to do, but I didn’t and I’m sorry.”

Veronica studied his eyes for a moment and waited for him to say more. He didn’t. “Fine. I’ve got things to do. I’ll see you later.” She started to stand up.

Jon frowned and caught her hands in his. “Why doesn’t that feel like forgiveness?”

“Because it isn’t.” Her patience snapped. “You think that you can just apologize and all your sins get washed away and all is forgiven? Well, guess what. It doesn’t work that way. Not with me. Not this time.”

“I know you’re pissed...”

Her eyebrows flew into her hairline. “Pissed? You think I’m just pissed?” She shook her head sadly. “I knew you didn’t really get it! Jesus Jon!” Shaking off his hands, she stood and paced. “The head of promotions is pissed because you broke your promise. The woman is beyond pissed at your callous disregard of her feelings!” She pinned him with a glare. “Dammit Jon, you knew how much this meant to me...to my career! But more than that....” She had to pause to swallow down the lump in her throat and blink back tears. “This was the one place in the world that neither one of us had ever been to. A stark, beautiful land with exotic people. A new experience we were supposed to share for the first time.....together! But being the big businessman was more important to you. You gave me this big speech about how you recognize the mistakes you made in the past and how you were tired of missing out on things with the people you care about. You told me you’d changed. But you haven’t. Not one bit. You’re still the same egotistical, selfish, inconsiderate prick you’ve always been.” She dragged in a ragged breath.

Jon listened to her tirade and felt sick. He couldn’t argue with anything she said. She was right. I really am the world’s biggest asshole! “Fuck! Nica...sugar...I’m sorry!” She snorted. He grimaced. “I know. I know it won’t wash everything away, or make up for what I’ve done, I just don’t know what else to say! You’re right. I have been a selfish, inconsiderate prick. I should have been with you. I realized that about an hour into the meeting, but it was too late. The idea of this being new territory for both of us never occurred to me.” He paused. “Why didn’t you say something?”

“I shouldn’t have had to! If you’d kept your promise, you would have been here!”

“You’re right, and I promise to do better. Next time hit me if I’m not listening.”

“Next time?” Her voice showed her disbelief. “You actually think there’s going to be a next time?”

He stared at her, heart sinking. “You have to give me another chance! Nica, please! I promise it won’t happen again!”

“Give you another chance to hurt me? Why should I?”

“Because....because I love you!”

Veronica stared at him for a long moment, then shook her head. “No you don’t.”

“I do!” He insisted.

“No you don’t. You may think you do, but you don’t. Most people want to spend time with the people they love and limit the time they’re away from them as much as they possibly can, not the other way around.” She frowned. “In fact, looking at your history, I’m not convinced that you even know what love is.” She shook her head. “I can’t risk my heart on someone like that.”

When she turned towards the door, he was desperate. Reaching out, he pulled her into his arms and held tight while she tried to pull away. “You’re wrong. Nica, listen to me! I do love you! You’re beautiful and bright and funny and caring and you get me like no one else ever has. I miss you when you’re not around. I can’t wait to see you every day. I want to go to sleep with you in my arms and wake up the same way. My bed...my home....my life is cold and lonely when you’re not in it! When you smile at me....my soul...sings.” He hugged her even closer and buried his face in her neck. “If that’s not love, then you’re right....I don’t know what love is.”

Veronica fought to hold firm against him, but the damn man knew how to get to her. Tears ran down her cheeks. “Then why do you keep doing things to hurt me?”

“Because I’m stupid. But I’m going to try harder. I don’t want to hurt you Nica, I want to cherish you!” He lifted his head to meet her gaze. One thumb wiped at her tears. “Can you see a way to forgive me and give me another chance? Please?”

Part of her wanted to just let go and let him sweep all the pain and doubt away, but she couldn’t take it if he let her down again. “I....I don’t know Jon...I just don’t know if I can. I need to think.”

Jon knew he couldn’t push her any further right now and let her go. For long minutes after the door closed behind her he sat and racked his brain for something he could do to show her he meant what he said. A thought came to him and he went to find the guys.




Veronica went back to the hotel to pull herself together. She couldn’t figure out what it was about this one man that brought out her masochistic tendencies and made her want to ignore all her instincts for self-preservation. What made her want to believe him...believe in him so badly that she was willing to overlook everything he’d done and risk her heart again? She didn’t know and didn’t have time to think about it just now. This was the most important night of her career, and she needed to focus.




The show was incredible that night. Jon and the guys were on fire and the crowd appreciated every second of it. Veronica couldn’t have asked for more. As she wandered the crowd she was filled with pride – both in herself and in the band. The stadium was packed, the reporters and DJs that she’d spent so much time and effort to win over were having a great time and it looked like the reviews were going to be all that she could hope for.

If she could sort out what she should do about Jon, her world would be complete. She had avoided him before the show, and he hadn’t pressed the issue. But she knew that wouldn’t last for long. He wasn’t the patient type.

The intro to the next song pulled her from her thoughts. It wasn’t a Jovi song and she stopped to listen.



Now I know I messed up bad
You were the best I ever had
I let you down in the worst way
It hurts me every single day
I'm dying to let you know


Now I'm here to say I'm sorry
And ask for a second chance
Cause when it all comes down to the end
I could sure use a friend


So many things I would take back
You were the best I ever had
I don't blame you for hating me
I didn't mean to make you leave


You and I were living like a love song
I feel so bad, I feel so bad that you're gone
Now I know you're the only one that I want
I want you back, I want you


Now I'm here to say I'm sorry
And ask for a second chance
Cause when it all comes down to the end
I could sure use a friend
Now I'm here to say I'm sorry
And ask for a second chance
All I want to do is make it up to you
Cause when it all comes down to the end
You were the best I ever had


We fell in love for a reason
Now you're leaving
And I just want you back
So many things we believed in
Now you're leaving and words won't bring you back
I'll never let go of the heart I broke


You and I were living like a love song
Now I know you're the only one that I want
I want you back, I want you


Now I'm here to say I'm sorry
And ask for a second chance
All I want to do is make it up to you
Cause when it all comes down to the end
I could sure use a friend
Now I'm here to say I'm sorry
And ask for a second chance
All I want to do is make it up to you
Cause when it all comes down to the end
You were the best I ever had


I can't believe that I threw away all our dreams
I can't believe now that you're gone how much you mean to me
I feel so bad, I feel so bad
You were the best I ever had
I can't believe that I threw away all our dreams
I can't believe now that you're gone how much you mean to me
I feel so bad, I feel so bad
You were,
You were the best I ever had *



More like third chance! Veronica wasn’t aware that she’d moved, but suddenly she was standing at the barricade, her eyes locked with Jon’s. There was no doubt that he’d chosen the song as a message to her. The glistening of his sapphire eyes told her the depth of his emotions, and brought an answering wetness to hers. The damn man was lethal! But she wasn’t ready to let him off the hook completely just yet.



(* The Best I Ever Had by State of Shock)

No comments:

Post a Comment